Saturday, August 14, 2004

Anata

Today I traveled to a village named Anata, which is located just south of Ramallah. We were supposed to be working with a group of international volunteers who are working with the Israeli Coalition Against Home Demolitions, but when we arrived at the house we were going to rebuild found out they had gone to the Negev desert for the day. So we didn't do much other than clear out some of the misc. material that was laying on the floor of the house. We did get to meet the family that used to live in the house.

After working at the house for a couple hours and eating lunch, we listened to a brief presentation from a member of a bedouin tribe living in the area, who explained that many of their wells had been destroyed by the Israelis and approximately 5,000 have been forced to leave for Jordan. We also heard from a resident of Anata, who explained that the land area of the village used to be 33,000 doldrums but is now only about 1,000 duldrums due to the construction of settlements and the wall. There are approximately 75 thousand people living in this land area, and it is surrounded on three sides by the wall. The Israelis have destroyed six of their natural springs and confiscated the seventh to use for a water park. Lots more details about this, but again, I don't have much time.

We then travelled to Al Quds (Jerusalem) University and tagged the wall by the soccer field. I wrote "END OCCUPATION NOW!" it was fun.

Also, I found out there are somewhat detailed maps of the Bethlehem/Jerusalem/Ramallah area (ones with the names of all the villages I'm mentioning at least, at www.ochaopt.org).

Alright, till next time



0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home